BMW R1200GSA vs Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Tuesday 20 March 2012

Who do I think I am?

20/3/12

(Apologies to the TV show "Who do you think you are" for the title of today's blog)

I'm exhausted. I've been spending many hours trying to find info on my family history before I go to Ukraine later this year. Wow, what a headache. First we have a different language, that's not too bad, but then you throw in a different alphabet, and it gets really interesting. On top of that my Father changed his name, date of birth, and place of birth when he escaped after the war so the Communists couldn't track him down. He was hidden in Germany after the war before coming to Australia.

So I'm searching for a name, in a foreign language, in Cyrillic, that has been spelt three different ways in English. On top of that I have three different locations as place of birth, and some of those are spelt differently as well.

Now that shouldn't be hard...should it?

Just to top it off, I can't just go for a ride around Ukraine and follow up leads as I find them. I have to submit an itinerary before I go, it has to be approved, and I have to stick to it while I'm there.

On a positive note, Dad always told me the Vodka is excellent there, and from what I've read the locals are very friendly and always happy to have a chat over a few drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment