BMW R1200GSA vs Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Saturday 13 October 2012

Piraeus and Athens, Greece.

22/9/12

I set out on my own again today. The crew took an organised tour and Suzanne stayed on board. I jumped on the City Tour Bus in Piraeus and hit the road toward The Parthenon.


Now here's something that I was stunned by. I went to the Acropolis to see the Parthenon. I climbed the stairs to the top and had a good look around. The organised tour didn't. They just stopped in the carpark and looked up at it from afar. Are you serious? If that had been me I would have been VERY unhappy.


Anyway, my twenty Euro tour got me two loops of the city along with a running commentary on what was going on. It was great.



 Piraeus has a great harbour full of all sorts of beautiful boats.

 If my memory serves me correctly this is the basketball stadium.

 You know the old saying about sleeping dogs...
This guy was pretty casual.

 The amphitheatre at the Acropolis.

 Yup, that's it. The Parthenon.

Another Acropolis building.

I know it's stupid but I couldn't help but think about Nick Giannopoulos and his Wog Boy movies while I was here. I did have a couple of LOL moments I must admit. I'm glad I visited the Acropolis, but after Ephesus in Turkey it was a bit of an anti climax. If you can make your way to Ephesus do it, you won't be disappointed.

Back on the bus I got to see a lot of Athens in a short time. I wish I had time to visit the museum, but it just wasn't going to happen today.

Athens is a nice little town. 
The buildings stretched out like this in every direction from the acropolis. It's huge. 

 Perfect road safety. No helmet,shorts and sneakers, on the mobile phone,
and he was probably over the limit as well.

He could at least give the helmet to his girl. 

Extra long pieces of building material? Small car?
Not a problem in Athens, just stick it out the back window. 

 Olympic stadium.

There was a sidewalk market on the day I was there. It happens every week.
I'd love to spend a few hours trawling through all the goodies.

The local meat market. 

A pickpocket getting away with the loot.
Probably from the meat market in the previous photo.

It was a full day and I was ready to board ship and have a good feed. We have another Pub Crawl booked for tonight and tomorrow is a day at sea so it can be spent recovering. Time for some fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment