BMW R1200GSA vs Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Tuesday 9 October 2012

Swanning around in Palma Mallorca, Spain.

10/9/12

This morning found our ship floating in Palma, Mallorca, Spain. For those of you that don't know, Mallorca is an island located almost centrally between Spain, Sardinia and the north coast of Africa. Now the geography lesson is out of the way, on with the story.


Suzanne groaned that she was staying in bed all day and that she would never drink cocktails again, so I strolled down the gangway by myself and headed into Palma. The very first thing that hits you in the face like a brick is the gigantic cathedral that is there.




After a quick sticky beak at the cathedral I wandered around the corner and found a small courtyard with a pond, and two beautiful white swans with three cygnets. They were stunning.



This is either mum or dad, I'm not sure which. 

The whole family.

From there I did the usual wander around the shops. I needed a couple more casual shirts but couldn't find anything that I liked (in my price range which is bugger all because I'm a cheap bastard). In one shop I bumped into my pub crawl companions, Kevin and Annie. They were a little worse for wear, in fact they had gone into town to get some pain killers for their headaches. Well Annie, that's what you get when you drink cocktails and champagne like water and dance til the wee small hours of the morning.

I must admit that I was feeling a little seedy myself and when I saw a McDonald's across the road I was at the counter in no time. What is it about a very ordinary hamburger that makes you feel so much better when you're hung over? By the way, the burgers in Palma are just as bad as at home. They really do make them the same all over the world.

This whole being in a town without our bike thing is really starting to annoy me. I want to go for a ride and find an out of the way place where I can sit and talk to the real locals. Like we did in Slovenia. Somewhere where people aren't trying to sell me sunglasses, or an umbrella. 

Having said that, Palma is a very pretty town. There are lots of trees and shade in the main streets, and the architecture is really interesting showing Spanish, Italian, and African influences. Not a bad little spot, but you have to head for the back alleys and walkways to  get some peace and quiet and to find the real jewels.





Back on board and we were invited to an Aussie and Kiwi get together for drinks. With a bunch of South Australians on board the conversation obviously turned to footy and the Dockers vs Crows game set for the weekend. I managed pretty well considering I was massively outnumbered. Of course it was all in good fun.


Then it was off to another formal dinner followed by a show in the showroom. The artist tonight was a brilliant classical pianist but he mixed in a few light hearted tunes and a bit of (bad) comedy as well. Then he came out with a suit on that was covered in bicycle bulb horns. When he bent his elbow, a horn would sound. When he bent his leg, another horn would sound, and so on. Each horn was a different note. He could actually play a tune on this ridiculous suit, and it sounded good. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing. Talk about funny.


It had been a long day so I bypassed the nightclub this time and headed straight back to my cosy cabin. 

11/9/12

This was one of our few days at sea. We pretty much took it easy staying in bed and watching a few movies then strolling from restaurant to bar to restaurant to bar for the day and had an early night. So, sorry, not much to report.


Tomorrow we visit La Goulette, Tunisia.

No comments:

Post a Comment