BMW R1200GSA vs Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Friday 28 December 2012

Recovery - or damn you Christmas dinner party people.

26/12/12

I woke at about eleven and it was another superb day outside. Unfortunately I was in no condition to enjoy it. Last night's Christmas dinner turned into a Christmas party thanks to a bunch of fun people from Cornwall and Bristol. I wandered around the room trying to think, and gave that up as a bad joke. Then I remembered we had some meat and cheese in the bike panniers. That helped a little, but not enough. It was definitely one of those "I'm never drinking again" days.

Suzanne slept until about five, then we went out for dinner at about seven and were back in the hotel before nine. As we walked back to the hotel Suzanne asked me "Who drove us home last night? Was it Tracy?" No Suzanne, Mario drove us home, and had a drink with us in the bar before you went to bed. Suzanne has gone to bed and I'm typing this in the bar because the Wifi doesn't work in the room. I'm drinking coke.

You have to laugh. I've just tried to change our return flights online with Emirates, we're allowed one free change to our flight booking. The website tells me that the fee to change flights is $35,000 AUD! Has something happened while we've been away that we didn't hear about? Great airline, but the IT department might need a wake up call. Might need to visit an Emirates office me thinks.

Tomorrow we need to move on. We have a good itinerary thanks to our friend Amanda. We will leave Andorra and go to Bagens-de-Luchon, Col d'Aspin, Col de Peyresourde, Lus St Sauveur, Arrens, Col d'Aubisque, Bielle, Pau, We'll head for Bilbao in Spain the next day. How long will this take? Google Maps says its 417 kilometres, and will take just over seven hours, so I'm guessing the roads will be very twisty. The way we are going, probably take us about two months. We'd like to do it in a couple of days though. We'll see how we go. This route covers some of the Tour de France course, so it should provide some interesting riding.

Well, that's it for me today, I'm going back to bed.

FOOTNOTE: 
Suzanne has just done some research and we may not be hung over at all. We may be suffering from altitude sickness. OK, I'm joking, but we are suffering a little. Reading about altitude sickness has opened our eyes and is something we need to be aware of. It's common for people who climb too quickly and stay at higher altitudes for extended periods. High altitudes means over 1,500, to 2,000 meters. We were at about 2,500 the other day and have been around 2,000 meters for a week. The best treatment - drink lots of water, no alcohol, and keep warm. Yeah, that suits our lifestyle really well doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment