BMW R1200GSA vs Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Friday 10 August 2012

To Calais - What is that up on the hill?

5/8/12

We made the most out of our late check out at the hotel and rode out of the car park late morning. It was back on the Autobahn again with a plan to make Calais tonight.


A few hour later we were cruising along and I saw something very large on top of a hill off to the left and pointed it out to Suzanne. We'll give a wonderful display of our ignorance now. I said if it's on top of a hill, and it's big, it's go to be a church. Suzanne said, no, it's something new, probably a sky scraper. We had to go and have a look. About twenty minutes later we were riding up a road into a very old walled city. We were both hungry and found a restaurant so we sat down for a very pleasant lunch sitting opposite what we discovered to be a "church".



Suzanne enjoyed her glass(es) of real French Champaign. I broke my rule and had one as well.

After lunch we wandered around and took the usual tourist type photos of the area. It was a beautiful place and we really enjoyed walking around it.






We aren't really into churches and were about to leave when I said to Suzanne, "We really should go inside and take a quick look seeing as we are here". Suzanne agreed so in we went. This church we were inside just happened to be the 850 year old Notre Dame Cathedral. Oops. We felt just a little silly. I blame our education system. I'm glad we didn't ask anyone what it was.


OK, I've just read this - "Notre Dame simply means our lady, so there are many churches devoted to the Virgin Mary called Notre Dame (Notre Dame de Chartres, Notre Dame de Rouen, etc.). The most famous Notre Dame Cathedral (with the Hugo story and Disney movie and all) is located in center of Paris".


It turns out that this Notre Dame is in Laon. I don't feel quite so silly now.


http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/4c4e4/1c10a/







Our bike went to church. I'm not pushy, I'll let it make up it's own mind about religion.

The Cathedral is a bit run down, shows it's age in some areas, and is in need of repair. I guess "The Church" spends all it's money helping the needy. I hope I can get my tongue out of my cheek tomorrow.


We had some very black clouds roll in while we were there so the waterproof liners went into the jackets and we were back on the Autobahn in no time. I'm thinking I might have to retire from motorcycling when I get back to Australia. After a few hours on the Autobhans today, even at enjoyable speeds, riding in a straigt line on flat ground just plain and simple sucks. I believe I have been spoiled for life with the riding I have enjoyed over the recent weeks.


A couple of hours later we rolled into Calais and found an Ibis Style hotel. I looked at the posters in the windows and it looked like rooms were only 65 Euro. Suzanne went inside and yes, Ibis Style have a promo on and are offering rooms for 65 Euro til the end of September. We'll be contacting our friends at Ibis Style about last nights bill in Troyes.


After sharing a few a few drinks at the bar with some other guests it was off to the land of nod for both of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment